How can I use automation to help me take control of my network?
As a business develops its infrastructure and builds its power distribution network, having visibility and control over the live status of existing or new electrical networks and the ability to respond rapidly to faults brings significant benefits.
How we can help
The energy market is changing rapidly. Traditional sources of energy supply are becoming decentralised, thanks to advancements in technology and new competitive environments. Renewable and localised energy sources are now enabling businesses to take control of their energy, manage risks more effectively and maximise the opportunities from their energy assets.
We are one of the largest providers of network automation and SCADA in the UK. SCADA (supervisory control and data acquisition) is a system of software and hardware that allows control over your electricity network. We have an in-house specialist team and our experience includes nuclear sites, airports and railways
- Assess the requirements of your current or new network, develop your business case and system architecture, undertake surveys and outline designs and identify your operation and maintenance strategies.
- Project manage the complete implementation of your system, assess its technical and commercial aspects and procure the necessary equipment and services.
- Finance the automation and SCADA infrastructure to avoid initial capital investment.
- Undertake functional and system architecture design specification, detailed installation design, install the system and migrate legacy systems, and complete equipment and system testing and commissioning.
- Provide industry leading asset management that includes whole life asset planning and optimisation, warranty and service level-based support for infrastructure operation of your SCADA system.
- Maintain your hardware, provide 24-hour fault response and repair and implement a replacement and upgrade strategy.
- Provide network automation and control as a service from our UK-based control centre, saving capital and the ongoing costs of building and staffing an on-site control centre.
What this means for you
- Immediate visibility of the live distribution network
- Remote control of planned and unplanned switching
- Technology available for self-restoration during outages
- Live information provided to field engineers on the ground, decreasing the reliance on control system engineers
- Link to a geo-spatial database for the accurate capturing of asset location and information
- Enable an audit trail on any operations on your distribution network
- Manage workflows and permit-to-work systems
- Use data for analytics to move towards preventive maintenance
- Access reports on energy usage
Related case studies
We were commissioned to design, construct, operate and maintain the electrical infrastructure of HS1, the UK’s first major railway constructed in over a century and its first high-speed railway. The project was delivered on time and on budget, within a contract that extends for 50 years after the start of railway operation.
We upgraded the electricity infrastructure to enable the rebuild and refurbishment of living and working accommodation for nearly 19,000 military personnel and their families.
We finance, own, operate and maintain London City Airport's existing electricity network. Through optimum asset management, maintenance and replacement, we ensure that the airport maintains supply resilience to support its daily operations and help it achieve its sustainability ambitions.